– Help your local community and improve people’s lives
– Help the running of a well-established and respected local charity
– Feel rewarded and appreciated
– Learn new skills in a supportive and friendly environment
– Be a part of a team of dedicated people.
EDA is currently looking for new trustees to join its existing trustee board. We plan to recruit up to 3 trustees.
There will be a recruitment and vetting process and an opportunity to meet the current board of trustees.
A trustee pack is available on application.
The board is run by disabled people and all trustees have a disability, new trustees recruited must show they have a registered disability.
Trustee roles include Board members, Chair, Vice Chair and Secretary.
What you do as a Trustee
EDA is a unique organisation with a great reputation for representing and supporting people with disabilities. All trustees share the same main responsibilities of a charity director, and you will have the opportunity to work on things you are comfortable with. So for example, if banking is your thing then you can focus on that, but if you’d rather work on advice or access issues, you can focus on that instead. Every trustee has their own uniqueness in the skills they bring and how much they can bring to the board, as well as how much time and involvement beyond what is required at board meetings. All trustees still have to abide by the rules & regulations and have the same responsibilities of running a Company/Charity.
As a minimum you’ll attend board meetings 4 times a year, usually at lunchtime with lunch provided, and commit to attend these meetings. Trustees are also welcome to attend the EDA social events such as the Christmas and the annual volunteers’ awards event. As an EDA trustee you can also use our services. All out of pocket expenses for attendance will be reimbursed.
Upon being selected, new trustees will be formally appointed after our next AGM, but can attend the board meetings before this.
New ideas, a different viewpoint and your own skills and experience
We’re always looking for a new perspective and additional skills. Below will give you an idea of what our current Trustee bring to the board:
- Direct payments
- Fuel Poverty Support
- Deaf awareness and service provision
- Transport matters
- Access issues
- Personal assessment disabilities and benefit
Who we are looking for
We are seeking the best people to govern our organisation, a trustee who has enthusiasm and commitment to the aims and objectives of EDA.
EDA trustees are the people who are responsible for the general control and management of the administration of the charity. Our Trustees matter a great deal.
Trustees should have a strong personal commitment to EDA’s aims and objectives.
You do not have to be an expert or specialists to cover every eventuality.
- You may also have links with the relevant communities or service users.
- It is important that you have the necessary time and energy to devote to the charity.
- We are also looking for people with learning difficulties to be a trustees and will be supported to be fully active as a trustee.
Trustees play an essential role in the governance of EDA. They also have a lot to contribute to our success. For example they can:
- serve as a means of communication with the local community that a charity exists to serve
- bring valuable professional or other experience to EDA
- help to ensure that EDA is well-managed through the appointment of senior executive staff.
Request your trustee pack, and we’ll send you all the information about what’s involved and the skills and personal qualities we are looking for.”
If you are 18 or above and are legally eligible to be a trustee of a charitable trust or unincorporated association please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you would like an informal chat please call 020 8373 6228 and ask to speak to Liane